logo zazamona





Two sisters, one pair of biker shorts and one not-so-infrequent argument when it comes to our Mum’s 90s hand-me-downs. It wasn’t until we had no way of figuring out who would be gifted these shorts that the fight was history. We searched and searched for a product similar to our mama’s prized shorts but to no avail. No other shorts had a unique design AND good quality materials that passed our glam test. Now, our joint goal is to design and create the ultimate biker shorts that you can use to brighten up your wardrobe essentials.


Yuzana & Yamona


We use GOTS certified organic cotton for 95% of your zazamona shorts. The other 5% is elastane which is needed to give your shorts that stretchy feel. 

The OEKO-TEX & BCI certified factory that makes your zazamona shorts is located in the North of Portugal, close to Porto. It is a family-owned business that has been in the industry for the last 25 years and produces for big and small brands.

Our sizes run from XS to L. You can find our size guide on each of our product pages. Each model featured on our website is wearing their regular size. Our shorts are tight fitting, so just make sure to measure yourself with our sizing guide. 

Prices are shown in Swiss Franc (CHF). 

If you placed an order and wish to cancel, please contact us at with your order number to proceed. Once we have processed your order, it cannot be cancelled. Please check your items in the cart before ordering. 

Yes, we do shop internationally. Please note that shipping costs may vary depending on the location and weight of the package. As of now, we do not include duty or custom charges that may be incurred upon shipment to countries outside of Switzerland. We are currently working on finding the best courier service to provide a DDP (Delivered Duty Paid) customs clearance solution to make the delivery process smoother. We will let you know here once we have found our match. 

We work with the Swiss Post for all deliveries. For the EU and the rest of the world, the Swiss Post partners with the local post of your delivery country. We are not responsible for any import VAT or customs fees that may be charged upon delivery of the package. We are currently working on finding the best courier service to provide a DDP (Delivered Duty Paid) customs clearance solution to make the delivery process smoother. We will let you know here once we have found our match. 

We offer free delivery on all orders to Switzerland and on orders above €150 to the EU. This does not include any applicable VAT and customs fees for deliveries outside of Switzerland.

Once submitted, orders are processed and dispatched as soon as possible from our warehouse in Geneva, Switzerland. This excludes Saturday, Sunday and Swiss public holidays. Please allow 24 hours for your order to be processed. A tracking link will be provided to you once your order has been shipped.

The delivery time frame for orders to Switzerland is estimated between 1-2 business days, to the EU between 2-7 business days and to the rest of the world, 10-15 days depending on the delivery country. If you need a more specific time frame, please contact us at and we will try to help!

Please note that transit times start from the date the order is shipped. 

If you have made a mistake in your shipping address, please email us at as soon as possible. If your order has not yet been processed, we may be able to help you. 

Email us at with all relevant information and we will be happy to help you.

We accept returns and exchanges of unwashed and unworn items with original labels within 14 days from the date of receipt of your purchase. Please be aware that we do not cover return shipping costs. For more information, please refer to our Shipping and Returns Policy. 

Of course you can! To process an exchange, please inform us by email at within the withdrawal period of 14 days and let us know your reason(s). We will send you instructions and a return form via email, which you can tape to your parcel. Please be aware that we do not cover the shipping costs involved in the exchange. You can exchange your item for any size as long as it’s in stock.

If we haven’t answered your question, contact us at and we will be more than happy to help. As it’s just us sisters starting out, please allow up to 2-3 business days for a response to your customer service inquiry.